I'm going to start this off by saying I am not a holiday person. Christmas break is such a highly anticipated and much needed break from school, but ends up being crazy and stressful because of Christmas. That said, I must admit that having Max at an age where he can interact makes me look forward to this Christmas for once. And I do participate in the holiday season even if I don't always enjoy it. So, here are some questions that are going around that I figure will give everyone some insight into my view of the holidays.
1. or ? Wrapping paper, most definitely. To me gift bags are so anti-climatic.
2. Real tree or Artificial? REAL. It's not a Christmas tree if it doesn't make the room smell.
3. When do you put up the tree? Well, if we do put one up it's whenever we get around to getting one, but ideally the first weekend in December.
4. When do you take the tree down? New Years Day. I don't care what people say, Christmas is officially over when the new year starts.
5. Do you like egg nog? No way, but Rob LOVES it and starts stocking up as soon as stores start selling it.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? My mom gave me a Sweetheart tin full of buttons- the buttons have been lost over the years but I still have the tin
7. Do you have a nativity scene? No, i haven't found one I liked enough to buy and I haven't had time to make one yet.
9. Easiest person to buy for? My sisters- they like all kinds of stuff.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail, if we do them- I never thought about emailing them until this year when we got one.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Um, I don't really remember getting something really bad, but I guess as a kid I always hated getting clothes.
12. Favorite Christmas movie? A Christmas Story
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Nope, if I don't like it it goes to Goodwill.
15. Favorite thing to eat at ? My grandmothers rib roast with au jus and yorkshire pudding. I am salivating as I write it.
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? I have chili pepper lights and the big opaque colored ones. The tackier, the better.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Carol of the Bells by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. LOVE the electric guitar.
18. Travel at or stay home? Travel. We're all over the place for holidays.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeers? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, Rudolph.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Star.
21. Open the presents or morning? Both- and usually the day after Christmas too.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? People. I always shop right before stores close so people don't get in my way, but during the holiday season they're unavoidable.
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? No, anything goes.
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Same as the food above- my grandmother's cooking.
25. What do you want for this year? You know, I don't really know. Usually there's at least one thing I really want, but not this year, I just can't figure out what would really make me excited.
I think my biggest issue with the holiday season is how commercial it now is. The whole purpose of the holiday is vanishing more and more each year. All the hype is for the wrong reason. I even have a hard time buying lots of gifts- I try to make as many as I can, but unfortunately time never seems to be on my side. I should try starting in July, then I may actually finish gifts on time. But, I am not always so negative- thinking about Max opening his gifts does get me excited and I really can't wait to eat Christmas dinner!
? December, when I realize I have to do it soon if it's going to get done, but every year I always dream that I'll start early.